The Association owns the following items of equipment for members to hire.
If you wish to hire a machine, it would be greatly appreciated if you would book it in advance,
ideally giving at least 24 hours' notice, so as not to be disappointed.
|Machine||Fuel to use||Hire charge per hour||Fuel refill|
|Small rotavator (light work)||unleaded petrol||£2||£1.50|
|Large rotavator (heavy work)||unleaded petrol||£2.50||£2|
- Please return all equipment duly cleaned. Materials for cleaning are provided free of charge.
- The hire charge includes the first filling.
- Only committee members may fill the machines to ensure correct fuel is used.
Use of equipment
The equipment is intended to be used by an experienced operator, familiar with the use of power equipment. Anyone using this equipment for the first time must have been briefed on the safety precautions below and be familiar with the equipment's controls and the method of use. Children must not be allowed to use the equipment.
Area to be cultivated - tilled
A visual inspection of the plot must be carried out by the operator. Any large rocks or debris which may be thrown by the equipment must be removed to avoid danger of damage to the machine or operator.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The appropriate protective clothing must be worn when operating the equipment. Loose clothing or shorts should not be worn. Sturdy footwear with a good grip, together with gloves and eye protection should also be worn.
Visual inspection of machine
A visual inspection should be carried out before use, checking for loose, missing or damaged parts, particularly guards. Examine the tines for any defects. Any defects, including signs of oil leaks, must be reported to a member of the committee. Do not try and effect repairs yourself. Always check the engine oil level before use and ensure there is plenty of fuel in the tank BEFORE starting.
Safety precautions during operation
- Never leave the engine running if you have to leave the tiller for some reason;
- When using the equipment on your plot there should be no children around the area you are working;
- Use extreme caution when reversing or pulling the machine towards you;
- Do not put hands or feet near rotating parts;
- Work across the slope of your plot, never up and down;
- When refuelling always stop the engine first and take care you do not spill fuel over a hot engine.
Remember: As the operator you are responsible for your own safety and others around you when you are using the equipment.